So there I was, reading "The Taming of the Shrew", when I looked in the very back of the book and found a list of classic literature. It got me thinking about how few people ever read as much classic literature as they can in their lives. So I decided I would try it myself. My intention is to get through all of these classic works and report about them here. So here we go, page one...

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"The Crucible"

     "I spy a poppet, Goody Proctor!".  That was my most popular line when I "stared" in The Crucible by Arthur Miller.  A little background about why Miller wrote this.  In 1953 there was a rising fear of the spread of communism in the United States.  Senator Joseph McCarthy was notorious for interviewing, nay interrogating, members of the US public eye concerning any possible connection to the communist party.  This became known as The Red Scare.  If someone was accused of having connections, by the end of their trial, whether proven guilty or innocent, the person accused had lost all reputability and any social standing.
     Seeing this injustice, and lunacy, Miller likened these events to those that occurred several hundred years prior during the Salem witch trials.  This is the basis of The Crucible.  Several young girls begin to accuse various women of witchcraft.  With nothing more than the word of a child, these poor women were arrested, given a short trial, and generally executed in obscene ways.   The focus of this play is on John Proctor who has an affair with Abigail Williams.  When John breaks off the affair, Abigail accuses John's wife of witchcraft.
     It is a little terrifying to know that just a small group of 12-year old girls were able to fool an entire town into turmoil and terror.  In the end, John must decide between his life and his dignity "It is my name!".  Truly a magnificent play with a message to always carry with you.  The only issue is that it can be a bit of a tough read because it is all written in slightly confusing "Puritan-talk".
     On another note, we did this play my junior year of high school, and I had the lead role of Ezekiel Cheever.  Although I was only on stage for a few minutes, I was truly the most important character, without a doubt... Who would have arrested Goody Proctor???  Just sayin'...


I give it 4 out of 5 Wildes.





Extra Bonus Picture:
This is indeed me performing the line, "I spy a poppet".  What a stud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers